Who we are
The Animal Welfare Office (AWO) functions to support biomedical research activities at the University of Otago - New Zealand’s first university. The Office has responsibility for ensuring we maintain the highest international standards pertaining to all aspects of the welfare and ethical treatment of research and teaching animals.
We are seeking a Clinical Veterinarian to support the Animal Welfare Officer with the provision of a high level of animal care and welfare. You will be providing clinical veterinary advice on the care and welfare of primarily rodent animals; and training staff and students on the care and welfare of animals.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Preparing and assisting with the implementation of animal care and use systems and services across the University as and when required.
- Providing veterinary clinical guidance on animal use protocols, and supporting research staff and animal technicians with animal care and welfare.
- Prescribing veterinary medicines for research and welfare, in compliance with the ACVM act 1997.
- The delivery of clinical training to staff and students.
- Registered veterinary qualification with the Veterinary Council of New Zealand.
- Recent clinical experience with small animals.
- Ability to delivery training to academics and students.
- Computer literacy.
All necessary training will be provided.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this job.
This is a fixed term, full time position for 15 months, covering parental leave. Applications for part time hours are also considered.
Access to a vehicle and a current driver’s licence are required.
We offer a competitive remuneration package depending on experience and qualifications plus the opportunity to develop and expand your career by being part of a forward thinking team.
Confidential enquiries can be made to Andrea McMillan, Head of Health and Safety, via the contact details are below.
To submit your application (including CV and cover letter) please click the apply button below. Applications quoting reference number 2001474 will close on Tuesday, 15 September 2020.
Contact: Tel: +64 3 479 7380
Create an email with a link to this vacancy:
University of Otago